2021 Niue 1 oz Silver Icons of Inspiration: Galileo BU
The first release in this series, this Silver coin features an elegant design celebrating Galileo Galilei, famed scientist of the 16th century. Artwork by famed coin designer Joel Iskowitz pays an elegant tribute to this scientific innovator.
- Contains 1 oz of .999 fine Silver.
- First release
- Limited mintage of 10,000 coins.
- Individual coins packaged in protective capsules.
- Obverse: Famed astronomer and physicist Galileo Galilei holding a refracting telescope, one of his most famous innovations, alongside a globe and the moon. A rendition of his signature is below.
- Reverse: a triumphant image of a muse, arm extended toward the sun, with the seal of the nation of Niue, the $5 face value, and the date.
- Coin designs created by famed coin designer Joel Iskowitz.
A scientist of many talents, Galileo is perhaps best known for his advancements in astronomy, especially the use of the refracting telescope to better understand the cosmos - including observations of the moon, supernovae, and our solar system, discovering the four largest moons of Jupiter, still referred to as the Galilean moons, and the phases of Venus. His observations led him to champion Copernicus's heliocentric view of the solar system, at the time controversial but now known to be factual.
In addition to astronomy, Galileo achieved many other physical discoveries, including the laws of motion still fundamental to modern kinematics and a basic understanding of gravity based on the observation that bodies of unlike weights accelerate similarly in free fall. His practical contributions included research on conic sections to develop more accurate artillery aiming, the development of a thermometer based on fluid dynamics, and refinements to the design of the refracting telescope.
- Grade:Brilliant Unc
- Grade Service:None
- Mint Mark:N/A - Not Available
- Metal Content:1 troy oz
- Diameter:39 mm